Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To seek agreement on the council’s
levelling up strategy focused on securing more young people within
the county to be confident readers and to support schools in their
approaches to building the essential life skills and resilience in
Councillor A Dale presented a report, which had been circulated in advance of the meeting, which sought approval of the council’s levelling up strategy that focused on securing more young people within the county who were confident readers and supported schools in their approaches to building the essential life skills, emotional health, and resilience in young people.
During the meeting, Councillor Dale clarified information contained in Appendix 2 of the report which should be amended to distinguish that the £1million funding referred to was the County Council’s money and not part of the £70million allocated by Central Government. The £1million Levelling Up fund for Young People would be invested in support of Derbyshire children and their future education.
1) Approve the council’s levelling strategy to support young people within the county to become more confident readers and to support schools in their approaches to building the essential life skills and resilience in young people by approving Children services to work with early years providers and schools in the development of phonics and reading programmes in their efforts to develop confident readers;
2) Support the development of the programmes via the council’s Sports and Outdoor Residential Education Services to develop and operate programmes to improve the essential life skills and emotional health in young people;
3) Approve the plan detailed in Appendix 2 to the report, subject to clarifying that £1 million of funding was from the Council’s budget rather than central government;
4) Approve the request for £1million funding from the General Reserve being held in an earmarked education levelling up reserve to fund the programmes across financial years 2022/23. 2023/24 and 2024/25 and to delegate the allocation of the funding to the Executive Director of Children’s Services and the council’s Director of Finance; and
5) Note the wider strategies which the council is leading or promoting to aid levelling up for the county’s young people specially with regards to strategies such as the Holiday and Food Funding, careers work and the work of the Derbyshire Adult Community Education Service.
Report author: Iain Peel
Publication date: 21/04/2022
Date of decision: 07/04/2022
Decided at meeting: 07/04/2022 - Cabinet
Effective from: 15/04/2022